Monday, June 4, 2012

Westminster Abbey


Today was our tour of Westminster Abbey. However, I was not able to go because my stomach was hurting me a lot. I have been to Westminster Abbey before when I was a sophomore in high school on an exchange program in which our school, of Brothers of the Sacred Heart diocese, exchanged with one of our brother schools, St. Columbas, in St. Albans to the south of London.

Westminster Abbey is more than a thousand years old. Benedictine monks first came to this site in the middle of the tenth century, establishing a tradition of daily worship that continues to this day. The Abbey has been the coronation church since 1066 and is the final resting place of seventeen monarchs. The present church, begun by Henry III in 1245, is one of the most important Gothic buildings in the country, with the medieval shrine of an Anglo-Saxon saint still at its heart. I love Westminster Abbey because it is an example of incredible architecture and history in England and there are not many edifices like this in the world.




No comments:

Post a Comment